This 4th of July we went in a different direction. Instead of the usual ribs, beans and slaw we chose cedar plank salmon, tandoori shrimp and a slaw mix of cabbage, brussels sprouts, kale and bacon. Dressed with Jimmy’s coleslaw dressing.The Salmon – Soak a cedar plank for at least 2 hours before cooking. Fire up the grill to a temp of 350 degrees. Drizzle the salmon with olive oil, add the dry rub. This was a 2.5 Lb chunk of salmon so I used 1-2 T of the rub. Place the salmon (skin side down) on the soaked plank and right onto the grill grates. Grill for 25-30 minutes, until fish flakes easily with a fork.
The Shrimp – Soak some bamboo skewers so they do not catch fire while grilling. Skewer the shrimp then season with olive oil and tandoori spice. Grill for 2-3 minutes a side.
Serve the salmon on the plank or remove to a platter. Add some of the mango salsa and enjoy!!
Best Salmon rub –
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1 T pepper
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 1 T basil
- 1 T tarragon
- 1 t salt
Mango salsa –
- 2 fresh mangos, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 red onion, cut into small dice
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/4 to 1/2 habanero chile, seeded and finely minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave syrup, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
In a mixing bowl, combine the mango, onion, cucumber, if using, chile pepper, lime juice, and honey and stir to mix. Taste for seasoning, adding more chile, lime juice, or honey as desired. Gently stir in the cilantro. Cover and chill until ready to use.